Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Sisters of Man Shot in PeckhamLondon Last Year Appeal for Help in Catching Those Responsible[Photos+VIdeo]

THE two sisters of a man who died after being shot have made a heartfelt appeal for those responsible to come forward.
Rukie Ware and Zainab Raji made their emotional plea as the Met police offered a £20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of those responsible for 21-year-old Ola Raji’s death.
Ms Raji said: "To many people Ola was just another boy or statistic but to us he was so much more, so much more.
"He is a son, brother and grandson and very much the heart of this family."
Ms Ware said: "We still don’t know what happened so if anyone does know anything that could help to give us a tiny fragment of peace that would be much appreciated, any knowledge they may have no matter how small they think it is."
Ola Raji was cycling onto the East Surrey Grove Estate in Peckham at about 10.30pm on April 21 last year when he was confronted by two men.
That confrontation resulted in the 21-year-old being shot and falling to the ground where he was stabbed.
Detective Chief Inspector Will Reynolds, who is leading the investigation said: "Ola left his home at 10.15pm that night. He was shot at 10.30pm. It would have taken him a maximum of two minutes to get to East Surrey Grove on his bike so where was he? Did he meet anyone en route? Those 15 minutes are critical. I need that information and am desperate for someone to come forward to tell me.

"It’s been a year since Ola’s death and we and his family want to solve this case. His family need closure and the Met has offered this significant sum of money which shows how determined we are to bring those responsible to justice."
DCI Reynolds admitted he had had a "frustrating" 12 months but said he was confident of solving the case.
He said: "We have had good responses from the community in terms of people coming forward and we have put together a sequence of events but we are short of this missing and critical 15 minute period just before Ola was shot.
"I want to understand why he left his house and why he went to East Surrey Grove on his bike. Was he going to a pre-arranged meeting with someone?
"It’s very frustrating. I can’t say for sure why he was shot dead and stabbed, something that is very unusual.
"He was shot at least three times, receiving a fatal gunshot wound to the chest but then he was stabbed in the back afterwards. It’s difficult to try and interpret this. Was he the intended target? Was he mistaken for someone else? It was dark and he was in dark clothing. Did he have an arrangement with someone or confrontation?"
Police have released a CCTV image of two men running out of East Surrey Grove shortly after Ola was shot.
Detectives believe the two men then left the scene on foot via a cut through from Cator Street, into Sumner Road, before turning into Rosemary Road heading in the direction of the Surrey Canal Path.
Police were called that night by a member of the public who reported hearing gunshots. The responding officers found Ola critically injured on the ground between two parked cars.
They carried out emergency first aid until he was taken to hospital. Ola was pronounced dead shortly after arriving there.

DCI Reynolds said: "Over the course of our investigation many people have come forward to help us, and I am grateful to them for that.
"There are people out there who will know who killed Ola and why. Given the length of time that has passed I am appealing directly to those people who have that vital information but have yet to speak to us.
"It is not too late to talk to us and help Ola’s family understand why their son was murdered and see those responsible brought to justice.
"You have my guarantee that if you speak out now we will help and support you. Please call and speak to my team on 020 8721 4205 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."
A post-mortem examination was carried out on April 23, 2015 which gave cause of death as a single gunshot wound to the chest.
During the course of the investigation three people have been arrested but not charged.
Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8721 4205 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

No comments:

Post a Comment