Friday 15 May 2015

How Classic FM presenter, Sylvester Ojigbede(Sly), Died Due To Negligence and Late Detection From Spinal Cord Infection

Last Friday, the remains of Classic FM popular presenter, Sylvester Ojigbede a.k.a Sly, was buried. The 37 yr old Edo born dude was buried at the Ikoyi cemetery after a funeral mass which held earlier in the day at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church in Victoria Island, Lagos. A day earlier, there was a Christian wake keep at Kings College Annex, Victoria Island, Lagos. Many of those who were at the cemetery could not hold back tears as they wailed endlessly. They include family members, Sly’s colleagues at Classic FM and loads of his ardent fans on Radio. They all trooped out in large numbers to see their idol being committed to mother earth. This is because many of them did not believe Sly was indeed gone.

Information gathered indicates that the UNILAG Economics graduate’s last days was a pathetic one. If only money could save Sly, then he would have been alive today. This is because Sly’s immediate and extended family were up to the task and did everything humanly possible to make him live. His office Classic FM, we gathered, also did not shy away from its responsibilities. Shockingly, Sly would have lived if not for the alleged negligence of some of the hospitals he was taken to and the circumstances is said to have angered not a few family members. When City People sought out some family members to react to Sly’s death, they declined adding, they were too distraught and would only talk after Sly had been laid to rest.However, a source very close to the family told City People that their brother would have lived if his illness had been diagnosed early enough.
The illness that took Sly away, family members believe was avoidable and had a 90% success rate of cure. In fact, the family believed he was going to survive and come out if it because it was a treatable ailment. City People learnt that the Spinal Tuberculosis that took Sly away was treatable within 2 to 3 months, if detected early. This is because Sly died 6 weeks in between of his taking ill. The respected OAP was said to have been misdiagnosed for the first 2 to 3 weeks and within that period, his condition had deteriorated so much so that he needed extra care. And by the time the right diagnosis was made, all the hospitals Sly was taken to started passing the bucks.
As the story goes, Sly’s symptoms started with a back pain. After a few days, the pain got from bad to worse even after using some medications. He was said to have contacted his hospital somewhere in South West, Ikoyi. X-rays and scans were done but nothing was detected. He was sent to LUTH for physiotherapy but it only got worse. City People gathered that Sly became paralysed from the waist down in his second week of physiotherapy at LUTH. There is the story that Sly was first being administered mild antibiotics by the hospital while they were not really in the know of what really was wrong with him.
It was when his health failed to improve that he underwent an MRI scan, which eventually revealed what the real problem was. Sadly however, the infection in Sly’s spine had started to kill the nerves in the lower part of his body, gradually the infection began to move from his spine into his lungs and into his chest and it eventually got to his heart and shut his whole body down. Although the family who are devout Catholics have taken solace in the fact that the Lord giveth and taketh, they are nonetheless sad that his death was an avoidable one caused mainly by the inefficiencies in Nigeria’s healthcare system.

No comments:

Post a Comment